Jeeps Wrangler JK come stock with three different tire sizes and the stock backspacing is 6.25" (The larger the backspacing the further your wheel will be away from the fender, the smaller the backspacing the closer your wheel will be to the fender )
- 225/75/16 (29”x9”)
- 255/75/17 (32”x10”)
- 255/70/18 (32”x10”)
The largest tire diameter that will fit on a stock wrangler JK is a 33" tire. You should not have any problems with this diameter tire on the street, but off-road there will be flex which may allow the tires to hit your fenders and possibly break them.
A 33" x 10" tire will have the least problems even off-road.
A 33" x 11" tire can be used without problems in most cases. You may have to do some very minor trimming or adjust the steering stops by adding some washers to limit tire travel. You may also need to add wheel spacer to avoid tire to suspension component contact, all are easy simple mods to do.
Common tire sizes in 33" x 11" are 285/75/16, 285/70/17, 275/70/18
If wanting to use a 33" tire with a larger tire width than 11" such as 295/70/17 = 33x11.6, 305/60/17 = 33x12, 305/70/16 = 33x12, 295/65/18 = 33x11.6 you will need to use wheel spacers as 1.50" spacers or aftermarket wheels with 4.5" backspacing or less.
Some good tires to replace your stock tires with are:
- BFG Mud-Terrain T/A KM2 285/75R17 (Dia = 33.90") Sec width on 8.0" wheel is 11.30" fits stock 7.5" wheels.
- BFG A/T KO 285/70R17 (Dia = 32.75") Sec width on 8.5" wheel is 11.49" fits stock 7.5" wheels.
- BFG A/T KO 275/70R18 (Dia = 33.18") sec width on 8.0" wheels is 10.98" fits stock 7.5" wheels.
- Toyo Open Country A/T ll 285/70R17 (Dia = 32.80") sec width on 8.5" wheel is 11.50" fits stock 7.5" wheels.
- Toyo Open Country A/T 285/75R17 (Dia = 33.8") sec width on 8.0" wheel is 11.20" fits stock 7.5" wheels.
- Goodyear Wrangler Dura Trac 285/70R17 (Dia = 32.80" sec width on 8.5" wheels is 11.50" fits stock 7.5"wheels.
- Nitto Terra Grappler 275/70R18 (Dia = 33.27") sec width on 8.0" wheel is 10.94 fits stock 18" 7.5" wheels.
- Nitto Terra Grappler 285/75R17 (Dia = 33.86") sec width on 8.0" wheel is 11.30" fits stock 7.5"wheels.
- Nitto Terra Grappler 295/70R17 (Dia = 33.19") sec width on 8.5" wheel is 12.13" fits stock 7.5" wheels. Note, you need to use wheels spacers or wheels with less backspacing than stock wheels with this tire.
- General Tire Grabber AT2 275/70R18 (Dia = 33.20") sec width on 8.0" wheel is 10.90" fits stock 7.5" wheels.
- Dick Cepek Radial F-C ll all terrain 285/70R17 (Dia =32.80") sec width on 8.5" rim is 11.40" fits stock 7.5" wheels.
This 4 door Jeep JK is sporting 295/70/17 tires on stock wheels with spidertrax 1.5 wheel spacers, jeep has no lift and no rubbing. (Photo courtesy of jeepforum.com)
Remember going to a taller diameter tire will lift your wrangler JK a little higher up than stock, so it is possible you can rollover a little easier. If you go little higher, it is a good idea to go a little wider as well, this will help the jeep from rolling over and give it more stability. Many people putting on wheels spacers or aftermarket 4.5" BS wheels say their jeep handles better and feels much more stable on the street. This also gives your jeep a nice stance over stock looking stance.
Also in regards to handling, generally an 18" tire handles better on the street than a 17" tire and so on. If you are not going to off-road your jeep and want better street manners/handling choose a possible 18" tire rather than a 17" if making a wheel change over stock. Also adding stiffer gas shocks will improve street handling over stock wrangler Sport shocks which are not high pressure gas. The Rubicon comes with gas shocks (red shocks) in stock form, but wrangler sports do not.
Here is a common saying when upgrading tires for new jeep JK owners by long time jeep owners "You don't know it yet, but you will eventually end up here, 35's - 37's tires and a 2"-3.5" lift".
What to win the lottery? Check This Out How To Win The Lottery Winning Secrets
Silver Lotto System Review Real Truth Exposed!